From:
Kate Desulis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 1996 10:31:49 -0600
Byron Johnson ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I am posting this query for our Curator who is seeking maritime
>navigational replicas. The Tampa Bay History Center is preparing a small
>exhibit on the Spanish exploration of Tampa Bay -- a preview of what we
>hope will be a larger future exhibition. As part of the exhibit we would
>like to display a replica of a 16th century astrolabe, perhaps a knotline
>and other replica navigational hardware.
>
>Question: Are there firms or individuals that have made high quality
>replicas that you are familiar with and would recommend?

The Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum has a fairly large collection of
navigational instruments, and we use replicas in our educational programs
and exhibits.  We have a few replicas of "exhibition quality" themselves
that we use instead of real artifacts in displays and also more expendable
(and durable) versions for hands-on activities.  A few firms we've used for
this include:

        Hardings
        103 West Aliso Street
        Ojai, CA 93023
        805-646-0204

        Norman Green
        P.O. Box 8451
        Emeryville, CA 94608
        415-652-7464

        Mohammed Zakariya
        536 N. Littleton St.
        Arlington, VA 22203
        703-243-9210

        Museum Electronics Ltd.
        Mel Hines, contact
        Markham, Ontario
        905-474-1774

        Harriet Wynter Ltd.
        50 Redcliffe Road
        London SW10 9NJ
        071-352-6494
        071-352-9312 fax

        Gardner & Wakelin
        17 Sandycroft
        Abbeywood
        London SE2 0XY
        011-44-181-310-1624 Phone & fax

If you'd like more information about astrolabes or other navigational
instruments, you might want to contact our Curators, Rod & Madge Webster.
They know instruments quite well and have developed an inexpensive
cardboard astrolabe that can be used in teaching.

Hope this helps!
Kate

Kate Desulis                            (312) 322-0821 phone
Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum    (312) 322-2257 fax
1300 S. Lake Shore Drive                [log in to unmask]
Chicago, IL 60605