From:
Jennifer Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:52:50 -0600
Hello Christopher,

I agree with Tim McShane's response to your questions.  However,
freezing is not the only way to rid yourself of an infestation.  We use
a CO2 chamber instead of freezing in most instances.  Depending upon
the type of object in question, freezing may cause as much damage as
the infestation.  If you don't have access to anoxic treatment, then
freezing would be your best bet.  However, there are companies that now
sell anoxic treatment kits if your museum cannot afford a nitrogen or
CO2 chamber.  Also, many museums that do have anoxic chambers are
willing to "treat" items from other museums for a small fee.

Jennifer Holt
IPM/Isolation/Dermestid Facility Technician
Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History
University of Oklahoma
2401 Chautauqua Avenue
Norman, Oklahoma 73072-7029
phone 405.325.2828