From:
"K.L. Tzang" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 13:20:50 -0800
Greetings from Canada -
I also work in a small museum.  Our focus is on local history rather than
science, but I assume that you have the same problem that we have,
interested students but little money.  Most of our instructors are recruited
from local interest associations (eg our genealogy courses are taught by
members of the BC Genealogy Association) and professional associations.
They really are the best since they already have a sincere interest in the
topic and are willing to run the courses for a small honorarium - we feel
that this is necessary since our museum is located 'off the beaten track'
and it can take some time for people to get to us.  Another way to offset
the cost of an instructor, is to offer to pay for thier materials such as
photocopying.  Finally, have you tried recruiting instructors from a
university/college teaching program?  They are often willing to volunteer
their time in return for a line in their resume.  We have also found that
they can be very helpful in designing as well as delivering programs.
Hope this helps you -  let me know if I can be of further assistance and if
these tips paid off.  Please contact me off-list at [log in to unmask]

K. Linda Tzang
West Vancouver Museum & Archives