From:
Peter Trowles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:20:53 +0100
I'm afraid that my views on the subject are exactly the same of those who've
already posted replies.

Getting that 'first foot on the ladder' has always been far from easy. 15-20
years ago, what was needed was a good First Degree, hopefully some
experience, usually voluntary, and a bit of luck.

But since the mid-1980s, the UK has seen an explosion of new postgraduate
degrees and diplomas in museum/heritage and other arts-related areas.

Those students who found it difficult to get employment after just one
qualification were actively encouraged to pursue a second degree in the
knowledge that this could only help them.

Unfortunately, in recent years in the UK, the number of job opportunities
has probably stayed about the same, but the numbers of qualified students
has increased significantly and they almost all have much better
qualifications than ever before!

The result is that employers are able to pick new staff safe in the
knowledge that there is a huge pool of very qualified people to choose from.

My advice to anyone entering the profession is: get yourself a good first
degree; pursue a second qualification only if you're confident that this
extra education would give you a distinct advantage over others; look for
voluntary work, placements or short term projects, for the experience. And,
make yourself known to as many people as you can. It's amazing how many
breaks come about through personal contacts or through friends of friends.

Finally, for any overseas student looking to the UK as a source of
employment. Remember, in comparison to the USA we're a tiny country and what
you've got to do is to pursuade employers that you have skills and
experience that no one in the UK would otherwise have!

Good Luck.

Peter Trowles
Taffner Curator, Mackintosh Collection
Glasgow School of Art