From:
Kathy Mancuso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 21:00:55 -0500
I can envision this becoming a problem.  I'm a GIS person--someone who makes maps using computerized systems.  CAD is similar.  GIS and CAD encourage accuracy--it's easier to input data with coordinates in many ways because you can do inputs in large batches than it is to draw freehand.  Many cartographers who use GIS or CAD systems are not artists--we didn't get into this business to draw.  Computers are about numbers, and so is GIS.  That's the strength of GIS.

A GIS is not a map, it's a Geographic Information System.  For instance, you could build a graphical map of your collections storage that would allow you to search for any item by things like acquisition number, descriptive keyword--and, providing it was where it should be, the map would lead you right to it.  GIS could be linked right to Past Perfect data, I think (I'm not sure--I've never actually tried to do that).  You could also do this with an exhibition design, linking notes about lighting or Past Perfect data to the location of an object.

Anyway, I'll stop going on about GIS, because I realize that my comment has stopped being relevant to the post.

Kathy Mancuso