From:
"Robert O. Dahl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 12:10:25 -0700
On Saturday, September 13th, from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Pio Pico State
Historic Park in Whittier California, in association with the Lively Arts
History Association, will present an old California Fandango.

This event will feature live, authentic 19th Century dance music from "Los
Californios", playing the dances of Old California.  These will range from
well known Victorian standards like the Waltz and the Varsovienne, to
uniquely "Californio" dances.

Instruction will be given to allow the attendees to participate in some of
the set dances.

The era we are recreating is the 1850s in Southern California, a transition
period when the Mexican era ranchos coexisted with the influx of "Yanquis".
The event is being staged at the home of Pio Pico, the last Mexican
governor of California.  The dance floor will be the well manicured lawn in
front of his house.

All those with an interest in California history, the history of dance or
historical re-enactment are invited.

It will also serve as an opportunity for those interested in particpating
in the California Sesquicentenial celebrations to "network" with others who
are involved in staging or financing Sesquicentenial events.

Free food will be served, and admission is free.

For more information, please contact Walter Nelson at [log in to unmask] or
Susan Donniger at 562-695-1217.

We strongly encourage those who have 19th Century costume to wear them, but
every one is welcome, costumed or not.

We are also interested in people who might like to particpate in a
"Clothing of the Old West"  program at the event.  Since this will involve
a broad range of costume, we would love to have you, even if your costume
is not 1850s.  If this might interest you, please contact Walter Nelson.
Also, to help us plan the food, an RSVP to Susan Donniger for all those
who might just be interested in attending would be appreciated.

Directions:  Take the 605 to the Whittier Ave offramp.  The Adobe is one
block West of the Freeway, at 6003 Pioneer Blvd.

Thanks,

Walter Nelson
President
Lively Arts History Association

--
Robert O. Dahl
Interpretive Planning & Design

"I am afraid that I don't see much hope for a civilization so stupid that it
demands a quantitative estimate of the value of its own umbilical cord."
... Dr. David Ehrenfeld, a conservation biologist at Rutgers University