From:
Jennifer Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 23:28:35 -0400
Just before I left Colonial Williamsburg Foundation in late 1993, the
foundation had instituted drug testing for all employees, not just the
bargaining unit (hotels). I do know of one person who quit because of it
and one who was fired for refusing to take the test. I don't know if just
full-time employees have to go through testing or casual (summer) and
part-time employees are required as well.

 I would ask questions about the policy. Why do they feel it is necessary?
Who pays for it? What happens if you test positive? What happens if you
refuse? In a small institution, it seems rather extreme. To me, it does
seem invasive. If you had been picked up driving impaired, not a problem!!
But this does sound like a smack in the face to the people who have
dedicated their time and energy to make the museum work. Investigate the
situaiton fully and keep us informed!! Cheers!!
Jennifer L. Williams
Independent Museum-type Person (IMP)
Boone, NC

             I'll believe it when I believe it!