From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:57:18 -0400
I think most of our volunteers and interns see their work as a way to
gain training and experience for jobs, or simply to find out whether
they really want to go into museum work. Others just do it because they
want to help out, because they enjoy having an excuse to get out of the
house and socialize in a way that is also useful to the museum and the
community. I think a lot of it has to do with the attitude of the
supervisor. If you can balance the serious business of inculcating good
work habits and techniques with a flexible attitude, a friendly
light-hearted atmosphere, and a policy of communicating your gratitude
for your volunteers' and interns' work every single day, they'll keep
coming back and keep doing their best for you. We have hired one of our
volunteers, and nobody else seems anything but happy for her.
Anne

Anne T. Lane, Collections Manager
Charlotte Museum of History
3500 Shamrock Drive
Charlotte NC 28215
704-568-1774, ext 110
Fall Featured Events and Exhibits:Hands-on-History: Harvest Fun!
Saturday - September 10, 2:00-4:00 p.m.
Revelry & Revolution: An 18th Century Dinner-Theater Experience -
Saturday, September 24, 6:00-10:00 p.m.Faces & Stories Exhibit Opening -
Saturday, October 22, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
Haunted Homesite - Saturday, October 29, 6:00-9:00 p.m.
Civil War Lantern Tour - Saturday, November 5, 6:00-10:00 p.m.Kites to
Kitty Hawk, on exhibit until September 2005Faces & Stories: A Portrait
of Southern Writers on exhibit October 2005-January 2006Solving the Rock
House Mysteries, now on exhibit
For information on these and all other events, please call (704)
568-1774 or visit us online at www.charlottemuseum.org