From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 12:45:31 -0500
Ross Weeks Jr. wrote:

> Bob, it's an interesting idea.  Maybe others have tried it.  It would be
> good to know if a decently qualified applicant for such a situation can be
> found, and whether that revenue goal can be met.
>
> Lots of variables outside this position's scope affect program income.  It
> seems this person will need to direct the museum's marketing, membership
> development, school relationships, and exhibits -- the whole chemistry of
> the institution -- or else, if revenue goals aren't met, the blame for
> failure may rest on other shoulders.
>
> Fundraising departments/staff fail, some years, to pay for themselves in
> some environments.  If they fall into that pattern over 2-3 years, then it's
> time for the director/board to make tough decisions.
>
> If the board is intrigued with the idea, perhaps it might be realistic to
> evaluate success in the third year -- i.e., raising one's own salary --
> rather than the first two.  It usually takes that long for an initiative to
> get off the ground.
>
> Respectfully, and with tongue in cheek, might I suggest that a museum is not
> a used car lot where one must rely on sales to stay employed.  But if this
> approach is pursued, would the new person get a HIGHER salary if the goal is
> exceeded -- similar to a commission at Joe's Cars or Acme Realty?
>
> Ross Weeks Jr.

Some good points, Ross, and the last thing in the world I would want to
do is run a used car lot--thus my choice of this profession.

However, the trend in the non-profit world is now toward generating
income through whatever means possible as long as they are closely
associated with the mission of the organization.  We could open a used
car lot down the street.  Not much difference between that and a thrift
shop, huh? (Written in jest).

You are probably on target with your suggestion that we give it three
years for the base salary.  That will probably be how long it takes for
us to bring our annual Austin Town Festival to profitability.

And yes, if the person raises substantially more than his/her salary, I
would argue that he/she be given performance bonuses (don't want to
raise the salary because the next year might be a disaster).

Thanks for you input.