From:
Laura Finger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:13:38 -0700
  Ask them to tell you exactly where the other museums
allow eating.  It's possible they only allow food and
drink in community rooms and and visitors don't
remember the restrictions in the galleries.  If the
other museums do allow this practice, send the other
museums a discreet (and non-accusatory) message asking
their policies on food consumption.  Explain to them
that you are instituting a no-food policy in YOUR
museum and hope they will join you.  It's likely they
were strong-armed by board members or others (as you
feel you are being) to allow lax food policies.  There
is strength in numbers, and once musuem professionals
band together to set area-wide policies, it's easier
to institute them.  Most staff would likely appreciate
your taking the lead in this issue and follow you.

  If all else fails, stick to your accredidation
answer.  It is a perfectly reasonable and valid
explination.  You do run a business, and you must keep
it as professional as possible for staff and visitors.
 Add in the fact that you are responsible for cultural
treasures and it becomes more pressing reason keep the
wine and cheese out.
--- "English, Susan" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> My Gala Ball committee doesn't understand why I do
> not want to permit eating
> and drinking in the permanent and temporary
> galleries of our new museum
> opening this Fall.  I have told them that this is
> against museum standard
> practice and that if we allowed it, may hurt our
> chances for accreditation,
> Smithsonian affiliateship, and traveling
> exhibitions.  Their response to me
> is that if The Downtown Chicago Museums can do it,
> why can't we?
>
> Does anybody have any other suggestions as to how I
> can convince them that
> this is not the route to go.
>
> Susan English
> Joliet Area Historical Museum

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Restoration and Conservation Division
Tennessee State Library and Archives