Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:47:54 +1000
Shari: My son who is a Customs Officer in Australia has advised:

"Although Australia class these as returned goods, it would be of
interest to see how they were imported into the country in the first place.
In Australia, temporary imports require a carnet (international
permission to move goods around to specified countries issued at the
country of origin) or a temporary import entry with or without surety
(deposit of money in case it never leaves again) depending on the goods.
Once again, all of this is paperwork based which gives the evidence of
the country of origin."

I do hope that this is of some help.

While one can be wise after the event, the experience should teach us to:

    * Check with the customs people in the country of origin and the
      receiving country for procedures. Get details in writing.
    * Maintain a complete documentation file, including details of any
      phone calls with the relevant parties.

Desmond Kennard
Museums in the making
HILL TOP, NSW