From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:17:31 -0400
I haven't read all of the posts on this subject, so I apologize if I repeat
something already said.  As I recall from the original post, the way this
particular on-line "exhibition" was discovered was by searching for the
museum's identifier, and finding the posted photos.  What seems to be
overlooked in this discussion of legal issues is that the museum was
credited with the images.  This is the web version of footnoting in a paper.
Effectively, it is free publicity and free marketing for the museum and for
the exhibition.  It really is not that different than if the museum had
published the images on their own web site, except that it provides broader
exposure.  In fact, it would seem that the museum would want to encourage
posting the images on as many web sites as possible.  The fundamental
purpose of an exhibition is to educate.  It really doesn't matter if that
education is in cyber-space or in the gallery.  I believe that seeing an
"exhibition" on-line is likely to drive more visitors to the museum to see
it in person than it is to keep them away.  But either way, you have
increased your educational effectiveness.  Perhaps you should put up a sign
encouraging visitors to take pictures and post them on-line?  Why see this
in a negative light instead of a positive one?

As for the issue of rights being violated, a simple solution would be to
have a release in your loan agreement with the owners that allows images to
be posted on the web if the object is included in the exhibition.  I would
imagine you would want that for your own purposes anyway.  Then if someone
else took a photo and posted it, you would be covered.  We are in a new
world of information management where control as we used to have no longer
is possible and has been decentralized to the individual.  So, why not
embrace it rather than fight it?

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road