From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:36:45 -0700
--- Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Then, again, a horseback ride has been known to break a hymen or two.  Even
if it appeared there were monkey business, absent testify from a (probable)
minor, you may not be able to tell.

I seriously doubt that anyone will have any reason to accuse anyone else of
molestation charges from a 2 hour horse program for kids. (Not to belittle
those who have been molested but a riding stables is far different environment
than a church or someone's house.)

First off, they'll probably start off in a group watching someone talk about
horses and then take turns grooming it. Then they'll either have help to tack
up or get their horses already tacked up to do the little riding lesson. But
with parents watching the entire time, I doubt even the most adept pedophile
would think of trying anything.

Stalls are always open and you've got a horse in there to boot. The classic
pedophile profile is someone that already had a relationship with the children
and is with them unsupervised for decent periods of time. A 2 hour horse
program at a barn is not an ideal molestation situation. There will always be
people around (or should be. If not, you have an unsafe situation and that's
another issue.)

If the barn has any reputation, which I assume it has which is why it was
chosen, the staff will be paying more attention to keeping the children safe
around the horses rather than thinking up ways to get them by themselves for a
couple of minutes to try something. Having done many a horse camp with newbie
children, you are 110% on alert for the horses to do anything that might hurt a
child, even if they are dead calm. A horse can stomp at a fly, take a nip at
another horse, trip, sneeze, or do a number of other unintentional things that
can land a child in the hospital. Thus it leaves little time for thinking,
"Come here little girl."

Now if these kids were in camp for an extended period of time or working at the
barn without their parents around, I'd be a little cautious. But for a 2 hour
program with parents around - I don't think anyone has cause to worry.

Secondly, you have to wonder about the motivation of the parent who is making
all the fuss in the first place. Wouldn't a concerned parent want to find out
all the details or have a serious conversation with your ed director and/or the
police before blabbing it all over town? Sounds like someone has a real
vendetta going on here and is just trying to cause trouble.

Deb