From:
Kristina Kiper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:56:51 -0800
Hello Tessa,
I worked with the Pittsburgh Children's Museum on
their fabulous puppet collection while in grad school.
I researched the puppets including rod and shadow
puppets of Indonesia. The PCM is most well known for
the Mr. Roger's Puppets which will have a larger
permanent home once the new addition and renovation of
the old planetarium is completed I believe next year
(2004). Also the 2nd Floor gallery has the Jim Henson
studio which is very neat, it's a hands-on theatre
with cameras and tv so kids can perform and see what
the audience sees.

If you have specific questions, I can try to answer
them from my work and research. I could also give you
contact info for some other puppet professionals who
might be able to help.

Just so you know, I was working mostly with
photographs of the objects rather than the objects
themselves, but I was asked to access the collections
to bring the "puppets to life" a couple of times for
classes and visitors. I have also, as a younger
person, built and performed a variety of puppets, so I
had a pretty good basis of understanding before
beginning this project. Feel free to contact me by
email if you think I could be of assistance.

The Pittsburgh Children's Museum can be found at:

pittsburghkids.org

Thanks,
Kris Kiper