From:
Kim terb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:15:02 -0500
Robyne-
I like everyone so far will of course suggest my museum- The Museum of
Jewish Heritage- A Living Memorial to the Holocaust. We are a "new" museum
in the city, only open 5 years and are located in Battery Park City. We are
located close to the WTC site, ferries to Ellis and Liberty Island (although
you can not go into the Statue right now), not to mention the Smithsonian's
Native American museum, Museum of Financial History, Wall Street, the list
goes on.

I would also suggest the New-York Historical Society located at 77th and
Central Park West. The subway nearby is the C train at 81st street (this is
the station someone said was really cool). It also located across from the
American Museum of Natural History. I have always felt that N-YHS is the
biggest secret in NYC. They have been open for almost 200 years and have an
amazing collection including a chair from Marie Antoinette, a chair from
Napoleon, and a chair that was used for Washington's inauguration. (just to
mention a few)(check them out on the web at nyhistory.org)

Food wise, I always find that food is cheaper below 42nd Street. My favorite
restaurant is the Creme Cafe an italian restaurant located on 2nd avenue
between 3&4 streets.  You will find that the people here are friendly and
willing to give directions and advice if approached (ok, 90% of the time).

My last piece of advice would be to try and organize your days by areas of
the city, try to do all of the downtown stuff one day, mid-town another,
etc. Otherwise you will run your self ragged.

And lastly, it will be cold on New Year's so bring a hat and a scarf and
everything else you need to be warm. I hope you have a great visit to New
York!!

Kimberly Terbush
Associate Registrar
Museum of Jewish Heritage-