From:
Jack Nokes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 16:28:51 -0700
Query:  can anyone provide information about a 20th Century Dutch painter
named Ernst van Leyden, and help identify any museum that might be
interested in acquiring a large (86' x 191') 1940's era painting on 5' x
5' glazed tiles?

Here's the story.  Got a call from the owner of an old house in Texas
that contains this tile painting done by Ernst van Leyden and his wife,
Karin.  The house is being torn down, and the owner wants to find a home
for the piece.  He does not have much idea of its worth and is more
concerned with finding it an appropriate home (assuming there is one)
than selling it on the open market (though some consideration for the
painting may be asked.)  Ideally he would like to find a museum that
really wants the piece, perhaps to fill a hole or otherwise complement
the collection.

If you know of a museum that has works by this artist in its
collections or might otherwise be interested, please contact me off list
and I will forward the information on.  Thanks.

Jack Nokes
Director
Texas Association of Museums

--