From:
Jennifer Tung <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 1994 15:06:07 EST5EDT
Hello!

We here at the McCord are in the preliminary stages of planning an
exhibition on x-rays.  A section of the exhibit is planned to
demonstrate how x-rays can be used in museum research, conservation,
etc.  At present we have plans to x-ray a mummy and a painting (for
layers of paint, etc.).

I have a question to pose: if you could choose an object from a
collection of historical, dec arts, fine arts, ethnographic
materials, what would you select for x-raying, and why?  At present
cost is not even an option, so please fantasize.  I am particularly
interested in objects that would be obviously educational and
interesting, showing the fine points of x-ray technology while
indicating its usefulness to the museum commnunity and researchers,
conservators, etc.

Any help would be really appreciated; we're brainstorming as we speak!

Jennifer A. Tung
McCord Museum of Canadian History
690, rue Sherbrooke Ouest
Montreal, Quebec CANADA H3A 1E9