From:
Celeste DeWald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:54:00 -0700
Laura:
I was fortunate enough to be in Santa Cruz--the epicenter--when the Loma
Prieta Earthquake hit. I would suggest that you use video components in the
exhibitions as well as audio, photographs, and 3D objects. Every person who
experienced the earthquake has a story to tell. I remember that the most
common question for months after the event was "Where were you when the
earthquake hit?" Videotapes of people telling the stories about their
experience(s) would be very powerful and would complement the displays about
the physical damage. There are so many heart-wrenching stories of bravery
and disaster that need to be included in an exhibition about that earthquake
and would be best told through the words and eyes of those who experienced
it.

What is the scope of the exhibition? Contact me if you are going to include
Santa Cruz County in the exhibition; I still live in Santa Cruz and have
witnessed the destruction and resurrection. I may have some good contacts
for you.

Celeste DeWald
Curator of Education
National Steinbeck Center