From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 17:05:40 -0400
I agree entirely with Elizabeth and some others.  Yes, museums "ought" to
try to pay more.  Many "ought" to learn to get by with fewer staff, and pass
the savings on to those whose positions are essential.   Hundreds can afford
only one staff member, not always fulltime.  These are wonderfully rewarding
places for a professional to work.

No, it's not simply a matter of trustees raising more money, as someone
suggested.  There are too many cultural organizations in most communities
competing for the same pool of philanthropy.  Yes, lots of our most
thoughtful trustees and donors COULD give lots more money.  So could
corporations.  They probably won't, and never have.

To encourage museum people to organize, in the fashion of dockworkers and
coalminers,  as one writer suggested,  will simply shut many of our
institutions down.