From:
Jim Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 1994 07:20:26 EST
I believe what you are getting is the following.  When you send a message to MU
SEUM-L it is then rerouted out through the server to each individual who has su
bscribed to MUSEUM-L.  When the mail reaches its destination the computer at th
at destination attempts to deliver the mail to the individual's userid.  In som
e cases the local computers try several times to deliver the mail to that parti
cular individual that may still be listed on the local system.  After these att
empts or after the first attempt the local computer server ("postmaster") then
returns a message to the original sender indicating a problem with delivery.  I
n this case MUSEUM-L sent the distribution message so therefore the return "pos
tamster" message is posted to everyone on MUSEUM-L.

I am not associated with the MUSEUM-L management however our mainframe here at
UF does the same for local messages and I often receive messages like this for
individual I mail to that have left an institution or who have changed
addresses.  I hope this helps.  JIM

Jim Ellis
Office of International Studies and Programs
123 Tigert Hall                     Telephone: (904) 392-6356   (NEW #)
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA               BITNET:    JELLIS@NERVM
GAINESVILLE, FLORIDA 32611          INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]