From:
Belinda Nickles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:10:33 -0500
I have a double minor in anthropology, some field
experience, and I'm job hunting so I'll take a
stab at answering your question.

The jobs I've seen that mention field work are at
large institutions or university-based museums.
Having said that, I am beginning to notice a trend
in medium-sized museums listing anthropology or
archaeology in their requirements.  A closer look
sometimes shows that all the museum wants is someone
to identify the prehistoric artifacts that they
already have and no field work is required.

The best thing I can tell you to do is look very
closely at the job requirements, look at the museum's
website for clarification, or just ask.  I've found
that some museums looking for anthropology
qualifications in their work force haven't a clear
idea what anthropology and especially archaeology
are all about (they have this image of digging for
dinosaurs and have no idea that archaeology can be
applied in many other situations).

As for which museum position might offer you the
better chance at doing field work, I would suggest
looking at curatorial jobs.  I worked as a curator
for many years and it led to a few opportunities
to do field work.

When I get the overwhelming urge to dig in the dirt,
I've also sought out small operations that are eager
for qualified volunteers and where I can work on my
days off or during vacations.

Hope this helps.

Belinda Nickles
Museum Consultant