From:
Laura Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 15:12:26 -0500
The Smithsonian Institution (operating 14, or is it 15 (?!) museums and
other public facilities) has debated admissions fees for years.
Currently, admission is FREE, but you might notice some strategically
placed donation boxes at three of their largest museums (American
History, Natural History and Air & Space). You might try directing an
inquiry to the Smithsonian's Visitor Information Center phone line at
(202) 357-2700. I believe The Washington Post has covered this issue a
few times in the past 5 years or so.

Also, try the National Park Service to request information on their
admission policies. In the recent past I have paid admission to the
Grand Canyon and Mt. Rainier. Recently Grand Canyon admission fees have
made newspaper headlines too.

Also, there is much written about public institutions (The Metropolitan,
Smithsonian, etc.) that charge for "blockbuster" shows. I don't know if
this is a sub-topic of the project you describe below.

Good luck.

Laura Ryan
***Note: The opinions expressed here are mine and not necessarily those
of my employer.***