From:
Carol Bossert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:36:56 -0400
Dear Mark,

Yes, museum shops can provide a transition between the museum and the "real
world".  Museum shops provide places to purchase books and materials about
newly discovered interests.  They offer the chance to take something of the
experience home with you whether a post card or reproduction.  (I have had a
post card on my desk for four years from the Museee d'Orsay.  It reminds me
of the last time I visited that institution and saw a picture that I had
never seen before.  The post card reminds me of the excitement and joy of
discovering something new.  It reminds me that my job in the museum world is
to help develop exhibits and programs that retain that excitement and joy.
It also reminds me to not take myself too seriously.  The picture is titled
Meduse ou vague furieuse by Levy-Dhurmer Lucien.)

You can also use the shop to distribute free materials: do at home
activities for families,  activity sheet for children, even additional field
trip suggestions that can extend the experience beyond the museum walls.

Although it seems that the tax laws are changing all the time, If your shop
wishes to retain its nonprofit tax status, it must sell materials that
relate to your mission and collection.

Hope this helps.

Carol Bossert
CB Services