From:
Sarah Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:28:32 -0500
Depending on how durable/visible they need to be, you can buy blocks
of glass from Home Depot or Lowes that are about, oh, six inches
square? You can probably get them bigger, too. They look rather like
this:

http://www.buildingacustomhome.com/images/brick8.jpg
http://www.newageglass.co.uk/webphotos/wallglass.jpg

and I've used them in theatrical productions to represent ice blocks.
In your case, presuming they'd be stationary, dust 'em with a little
spray-hairnet or some Super 77 Adhesive and fake snow to simulate
frost on the ice.

It may be cheaper, however, to buy some thick sheet styrofoam, cut it
into blocks, spray it with pearlescent white paint, then glue fake
snow to it for frost. It all depends on how close your patrons will be
to the "ice" and how durable it has to be. If you call your local rep
house or university theatre, they might have some they'd be willing to
sell or loan.

Gee, that BA in theatre is finally good for something in Museum arts...

Sarah

--
Sarah Brandywine Johnson

Working in the theater has a lot in common with unemployment. -- Arthur Gingold