From:
Lana Newhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 07:52:47 -0500
At Conner Prairie our blacksmiths and potters make and sell products.  Our volunteer sewing guild makes a handful of little things, including sunbonnets for girls and pin cushions, while our Loom House staff produces woven bookmarks, hand spun and hand died yarn, hand knitted pot holders, etc.  All are sold in our museum gift shop.

Also, Hale Farm in Ohio does glass blowing and broom making.  Greenfield Village, Colonial Williamsburg, Sturbridge, etc. all make and sell products.  Often we buy and sell from one another.  We have purchased cooper products from Williamsburg in the past, as well as glass bottles from Hale Farm.  And they have purchased from us.

There is a textile museum (sorry, can't think of their name of the top of my head) in Lowell MA that makes repro. coverlets and tablecloths on their industrial machines.

I really think you will find that a living history museum is more likely to do something like this.  CP started making repros. for our own use in interpretation back in the early 1980s.  Then we into selling because of visitor demand to take one home.  The appeal of an object made in the same manner as was done 150 years ago is tremendous for people who are so far removed from the process of production, but really into consumption.

Lana Newhart-Kellen
Registrar
Conner Prairie

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/20/02 03:24PM >>>
Can anyone remind me of the names of some specific museums that make and
sell products using museum equipment/fixtures/apparatuses, etc.?

For instance, if a museum of textile history were to weave fabric on an
antique loom and then sell it (either in an on-site gift shop or through a
web site or catalog), that would be along the lines of examples I am in
search of.  I'm thinking that most of the examples in this category are
likely to be in the area of industrial history--but maybe not.

Thanks.

Susan Cronin Ruderman, Ed.M., Vice President
VERITAS INFORMATION SERVICES, 9 Alton St., Arlington, MA  02474
(781) 643-7811; (781) 643-1136 (fax) mailto:[log in to unmask]
Fundraising Research Consulting http://www.veritasinfo.com