From:
Matthew Linke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:12:03 -0500
Hi Ellen and everyone else:

You will probably get a million other replies, but:   The fact that the
Moon blocks the photosphere (where the ultra-violet, damaging, radiation is
coming from) of the Sun during a TOTAL eclipse means that you can watch one
un-sheilded DURING TOTALITY.  During a partial eclipse there is still a
portion of the photosphere exposed.  This is especially dangerous because
the overall intensity of the Sun is diminished, meaning that it is not as
painful to look at it.  But the ultra-violet radiation is still strong and
there we are staring at it!

Driving into the Sun doesn't generally involve actual long periods of
"sun-staring" and many people where ultra-violet-absorbing sunglasses.  The
glass on your car also absorbs a lot of this radiation as well.  Because of
the dangers involved and the fact that we have but one set of eyes, it is
always recommended that you observe any eclipse (of the Solar type) by
means of projection or with recommended filters.  I never trust filters.

On the 23rd of March there will be a partial Lunar eclipse visible over
much of North America.  This is totally safe.  Stare away!

Matt