From:
Kevin Gene Canze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 11:41:58 -0500
Does anyone on the list know of a publication of guidelines for hinging
works of art on paper? For years I've been using wheat paste and Japanese
paper hinges to attach pieces to their mats or mounts. I've learned a few
"tricks" over time for special mounting problems: reinforcements for
particularly large or oddly shaped paper objects. But I've been wondering
if there is any literature with quantitative guidelines for hinge size,
number, placement or weight.

I am familiar with a couple of "professional picture framers'" handbooks
and have culled out the information I know is conservationally sound.
What I hope to find is a resource for mounting works on paper akin
to the National Gallery's ART IN TRANSIT workshop materials for
transporting paintings or RCAAM's Soft packing workshop.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin Canze
Museum Preparator
University of Michigan Museum of Art