From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:34:20 -0800
The fourth in our series, I next introduce to you
Laura Mead.

TYPE OF MENTOR SOUGHT:
Someone in museum education who has worked in a
smaller institution and understands what it's like to
have to juggle many balls

EMAIL LAURA AT:

LAURA MEAD

I NEED A MENTOR - and I am not sure where to look.

I started working full-time in the museum world a
little over a year ago, and I cannot begin to explain
what a difference it has made in my life.  I have
always been a person with multi-interests and
multi-talents, and working in Museum Education allows
me to actually USE all these talents.

In 1998 I graduated with a B.A. in history, with hopes
of continuing my education at a future date to a M.A.
in Education, so that I could teach high school
history.  As with most college graduates right after
graduation I was burned out, so I decided to take a
few years off from classes, but stayed in town working
with undergraduates at the university.  I really liked
working with the students, but it lacked creativity.

Then in the midst of all this, I saw a job opening as
a Director of Education at a nearby small museum,
decided to apply because it sounded like a dream job,
and now I am hooked.

I am really concerned because our museum has suffered
some severe funding cuts - mainly from the state, but
we also have had decreased admissions and rapidly
declining staff over the past few months.  Seeing the
numbers myself, I am unnerved.

My job responsibilities have shifted tremendously.
What started out as developing quality educational
programs has turned into everything from webmaster to
catering food for meetings.  I don't mind having
multiple job assignments - I love to do new things,
but I concerned that this could affect my career.

I live in a fairly small community, and the museum
where I work is small.  I don't have a mentor, and
it's harder to find guidance when so many of us are
wearing multiple hats.  That's why I thought finding
someone on the list might be a great solution!

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try:
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414