From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:02:47 -0500
As Lucy said, Candace has done us all a favor by raising this issue for discussion.  Lucy's post brings up a point I want to emphasize. Often in a small museum it is difficult to convince people that there is any problem with the way they have done things or want to do things. I've been regarded as fuss budget at best in many instances. This is certainly no reason to be unaware of potential problems but you cannot always give voice to your concerns or have them addressed when you do.  I doubt that it is that much easier in larger institutions.  On the other hand, whether or not you are the "name your favorite example of a prominent museum here"  the principles are the same.

this opinion is that of the author and not necessarily that of her employer

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/10/04 01:37PM >>>
I would like to thank Candace for being brave enough to bring this
problem to our large and potentially critical forum. I have repeatedly
voiced concerns here in our own small museum that exhibits are developed
by individuals and community groups with very little oversight from the
museum. (A recent exhibit had something in it that I felt risked
lawsuits if someone had used the information 'published' on the museum
walls for identity theft or PR problems from irate persons not
appreciating having personal information posted on museum walls for the
public to see. My concern about publishing personal information about
living persons was ignored in the belief that the genealogist who
installed it was an 'expert' so it must be o.k.)

Thus, I'm thrilled to have concrete examples to take to the other Board
members, so they might see that I'm not just being critical of how
things have 'always been done and it works fine.' Maybe this will help
our museum gain understanding about the need to develop guidelines and
policy to guide exhibit development and curation, and to have some kind
of written agreements.

Those of you who are willing to stick your necks out in talking about a
problem do a great service to the rest of us in helping us and our
institutions avoid similar problems.

Many thanks,
Lucy Sperlin