From:
Oliver V Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 16:49:19 -0400
Dear List,

For several years I have been using some of the same tired slides of
museum installations for the Exhibition Design class that I teach at New
York University.  I am sending this as a request for downloadable gallery
shots that you might have -- good or bad, interesting or less so -- of
exhibitions at your institutions.  The formats that I am using for my
recently computerized projections are either Bitmaps (BMP files) or J-Peg
(JPG files).  These are not for publication, and I will be most happy to
tell the class at which institution the exhibition took place.  My
assignment to these Graduate Students is to evaluate local exhibitions
based on criteria that I have assembled based on their readings of
diverse materials including ADA guidelines as expressed in the
"Smithsonian Guidelines for Accessible Exhibition Design," conservation
guidelines from the National Park Service and various texts, color
studies, anthropometric drawings, readings on learning theory and more.
The use of images from exhibitions is very helpful in developing the
design vocabulary of these future museum professionals, as well as
helping them in visualizing the possibilities beyond the white cube.

Thanks in advance!  You may reply (with attachments, I hope) to me at

Oliver Hirsch
Hirsch & Associates Fine Art Services, Inc.
New York