From:
Stefan Sommer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 13:34:26 -0700
Dear Melinda,

I don't know your situation, but at many Universities the collections belong
to the University or to the Board of Regents. If you have a good assessment of
the value of your collections, then it might be worth having a meeting with
your University lawyer to discuss potential liability issues. It could also be
helpfull to have documentation that you have assured/promised donors that the
Gallery/University will care for their donated works. A letter from the lawyer
might help to shake things loose and get the special attention you are
seeking.

All the Best!

Stefan

Dr. Stefan Sommer, Vice President
Association of College and University Museums and Galleries
www.acumg.org

>===== Original Message From Museum discussion list
>Hello,
>
>I am the Collections Manager for a small University Gallery/Museum and
>am in the process of writing a security/access policy for the Museum.
>Our facility is managed by the University’s Physical Plant which means
>that all Physical Plant staff have keys and access
>to the Museum and Collections Storage areas and all contract work goes
>through them. This presents a huge problem and I am trying to
>change this policy. Physical changes such as new locks, swipe card
>entry, etc. are in the works, but the larger obstacle is getting the
>Physical Plant and University to see that we are a unique entity with
>unique needs and that restricted access is standard practice and that
>we need to change the existing policy. Are there any University Museum
>staff out there in a similar situation and do you have sample policies
>you could share in regards to internal access?
>
>Thanks for your assistance,
>Melinda McPeek

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/
. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a
one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the
message should read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Dr. Stefan Sommer, Director of Education
Merriam-Powell Center for Environmental Research
Northern Arizona University
Campus Box 5640
Flagstaff, AZ 86011

MNA Office: (928) 774-5211  ext. 204