From:
Katherine Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:36:15 -0600
While I feel that accuracy  and knowledge are crucial in teaching, an educator will achieve very little if they don't understand how people learn and how to engage others in the learning process.  Good teaching is an art and a talent.

In the 19 years that I have worked in museums, I certainly have drawn on my undergraduate degree in history, which taught me how to learn information.  I started out in history museums and now work in an art museum (my 2nd).  One of the things that I love about my job is the
constant opportunity for me to learn new information.

But it is my interest in interactive education that makes me a sucessful museum educator.  I have learned a great deal from my museums studies courses and my continued professional development efforts in the area of education - early childhood, elementary and secondary, adult and
informal education, and recently a new program at the University I work for on helping professors ENGAGE their students in learning.

Kathrine Schlageck
Beach Museum of Art
Kansas State University