From:
Jeanine M Mazak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 08:03:04 -0500
I am one of two graduate museum studies interns at a house museum where
our work has been basic collections management and care.  For the most
part our coursework has been extremely helpful in dealing with the bulk
of the collection.  However, we recently examined some late 19th century
swords, daggers and scabbards.  They are in horrible condiditon.  The
leather of the scabbards crumble when touched at worst and are severly
cracked at best.  All of the blades are bloched if not covered with rust
and corrosion.

The items have been laying for goodness knows how many years atop of a
standard find in anyone's garage utility rack uncovered in an un climate
controlled area.

Can anyone please offer advice as to beginning to repair these items, at
least keep them from getting any worse?  Any suggested reading materials
and the like would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

jeanine mazak