From:
Sheila Darr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 16:04:34 -0600
Please excuse cross-postings!

Our children's museum will soon open and permanent exhibit
about local history. It's in a 3-story tower inside the
museum building. One element of this exhibit is a circular
tube slide from the top story to the bottom which allows
visitors to "go back in time."

We're trying to sort out what to do about static electricity
build-up in the slide. When our exhibit technician (who
graciously offers himself up as our sacrificial guinea pig)
goes down, the static builds up so much that he has as many
as six pretty dramatic shocks before he reaches the bottom.
(He says it's really creepy to be inside the dark slide and
see these bright flashes of light as he gets shocked!)
Obviously, this is not okay for kids--and with greater usage
the problem would probably be even worse.

Any suggestions about grounding or treatment of the plastic?
We've tossed some around, but would very much appreciate
suggestions from others.

Thanks in advance.

Sheila Darr
Exhibit Coordinator