From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2003 10:56:26 -0500
Nick,

> Perhaps my problem is that I am in the 99% of those who are
> not as well educated as other folk on the list. Perhaps that is
> why I don't know words such as "irregardless".

Perhaps this is so.  Just look in the dictionary:

        "Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the
        early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called
        it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927.
        The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is
        no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used
        primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to
        time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the
        years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance.
        Use regardless instead."
        [Source: Merriam-Webster at www.m-w.com]

While not suggested, irregardless is an acceptable term.

Princeton's Wordnet provides the following definition of the adverb,
irregardless:

        ((informal) regardless; a combination of irrespective and
        regardless sometimes used humorously).

[Source:
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn1.7.1?stage=1&word=irregardless]

How about another dictionary:

        Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be
        correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly
        in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the
        United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a
        blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking
        of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity
        of combining the negative ir– prefix and –less suffix in a
        single term.  Although one might reasonably argue that it is
        no different from words with redundant affixes like debone
        and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades
        and will probably continue to be so.
        [Source: American Heritage Dictionary at www.bartleby.com]

Deb's message is (thankfully) written in a wholly casual tone, as a
concerned person.  For, after the flurry of messages in Museum-L
surrounding the war in Iraq, how could one consider Museum-L to be
concerned with professionalism?  LOL!  So, Nick, while you mock, you
might ask whom you are mocking?

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman
Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum