From:
Audrey Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 1994 16:17:39 -0700
I hope that sending this information over the list is not intrusive, but
because I have had requests for this information, this just seems like
one of the more efficient systems to use:

I am the Nomura Project Director for, "Kenjiro Nomura: An Artist's View
of the Japanese-American Internment".  The exhibit is currently in its
4th year of its national tour.  It will be at the James A. Michener Art
Museum, Doylston, PA from January 21 until March 10, 1995.  During its 4
year tour it has been to 13 museums in 8 states; Washington, Colorado,
Idaho and New York, to name a few.

Once nationally and internationally acclaimed by art critics, the work of
Kenjiro Nomura has not been widely exhibited since World War II.  Few
remember that in 1933 Nomura was one of the Pacific Northwest's most
progressive painters.  Nomura exhibited his work in New York, Chicago,
and at several museums on the Pacific coast.

The war and his subsequent internment abruptly dashed his career hopes.
In the internment camps Nomura worked as a sign painter.  In the quiet
isolation of the sign shop, forbidden to paint unflattering depictions
of the camps, Nomura painted what has become his diary of private
reflections of camp life.

If anyone is interested in more information, I would be more than willing
to send it to you by snail or by e-mail.

Thank you for your consideration

June McKivor