From:
Leonard Will <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2014 17:35:46 +0000
ISKO UK

Taming the news beast:

finding context and value in text and data

Wednesday 1st April 2014 (14.00-17.45)

Chemistry Lecture Theatre, University College London WC1H 0AJ

Don’t miss the first ISKO UK afternoon meeting of 2014 in London on
Tuesday 1st April 2014 on the topic "Taming the news beast - Finding
context and value in text and data", organized by member Helen Lippell.
The meeting is preceded by our AGM at 1pm, to which interested
non-members are most welcome as observers

As content volumes and sources have exploded, for news producers and
consumers alike it has become harder to extract context and value. The
rise of digital publishing has eroded print revenues, and companies have
to be innovative in packaging their offerings for a competitive
marketplace. Consumers too are faced with an unprecedented information
overload and need ways to ensure they see only the services they truly
value. As knowledge organizers, how do we address the challenges?

You will find the programme and other details of the event, and can
register until March 28thvia the ISKO UK site
athttp://www.iskouk.org/events/news_beast_April_2014.htmThe event is
freeto ISKO members and to full-time students. The fee for non-members
is just £40. All fees must be paid in advance - there is no provision
for payment on arrival. Registration opens at 13.30and we shall start
promptly at 2 p.m.Please pass this invitation on to any colleagues who
may be interested. We hope to see you there.Twitter #ISKOUKNEWBE

Two speakers from the BBC will start us off, showing how the development
and adoption of ontologies has enabled a revolution in the processes
behind news broadcasting. It will be interesting to compare this with
the story from ABC News in the USA, where our generous sponsor LAC Group
was brought in to revolutionise the production process. Cost-effective
options for smaller players will be addressed too, in a talk about
AnnoMarket, a pan-European research project to launch a cloud-based
marketplace for text analytics. And finally we shall hear from the Press
Association about semantic data management, tagging interfaces and
triple store management.

ISKO is a not-for-profit scientific/professional association with the
objective of promoting research and communication in the domain of
knowledge organization, within the broad field of information science
and related disciplines. Founded in 2007, our UK Chapter has been
attracting lively and steadily growing audiences to its afternoon
meeting series (see slides and recordings
athttp://www.iskouk.org/events.htm) as well as its very successful third
biennial conference <http://www.iskouk.org/conf2013/index.htm> last year.

--
Willpower Information     (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants            Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092