From:
Debi Crosby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 18:57:55 -0700
I am using Onset's Hobo series in a curation facility. It's not quite a
museum, but we have to maintain the same standards in our storage area.
I'm very happy with the Onset loggers. I have five of the H8 loggers in
the storage area: one on the inside of the outside wall, one on the
shelving in the center of the storage area,  three in various
configurations in artifact bags in a storage box, and one in the office.
This has been an ongoing experiment for the last two years. I also use
an Hobo H8 Pro outside to track ambient conditions.

I like that the loggers are inexpensive compared to other systems. They
are not hard-wired into the building. They are battery operated, so they
can be moved around as your needs change. And, they are small so you can
put them just about anywhere. I use the optional shuttle. With the
shuttle, you can off-load the data from the logger without moving the
logger from the spot you are monitoring. The shuttle also checks the
battery level of the logger and relaunches it.

The H8 model will monitor temperature, humidity, and light levels in
lumens. It does this by recording data on several channels. So, you can
get humidity outputs in relative humidity, absolute humidity, dew point,
etc. They can be programed to take readings every 30 seconds up to once
a week or so. Mine are set to take readings every 10 minutes. At that
rate, they only need to have the data off-loaded every 18 days.

The H8 Pro is weather proof. It records temperature and humidity, but it
does not record light levels. The capacity of the pro is much larger
than H8 model. It is also programmed to record every 10 minutes, and at
that rate, it could go for 180 days without downloading.

The software is easy to use. It will generate graphs of the data in a
variety of ways. The one thing it will not do (at least the version I
have won't) is graph two types of data, such as temperature and RH, on
the same graph. One really nice feature is the ability to delay the
start of the datalogger. This allows you to make the initial launch or
change programming and get the logger into place before it starts
recording. The loggers can also be programed to stop recording when they
get full. This prevents the loss of data from the logger "wrapping
around" and overwriting the earlier data.

The one time I have had to deal with getting support from the company,
they were friendly, helpful, and responsive. Basically, I can not say
enough good things about the Onset loggers. And, I'm not even on their
staff.