Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 09:49:34 +1000
At 08:29 AM 30/09/97 -0000, you wrote:
>Hallo everyone,
>
>We are at present starting a project whereby we plan to mark important
>natural and historic sites along the main tourist routes with signs and
>information panels.
>
>The problem is to find a suitable material and method to make these signs
>so that they are as vandal proof as possible. They should also be able to
>withstand very harsh weather conditions. As they will be in the open, they
>will constantly be exposed to temperatures around 36 to 40 degrees
>centigrade. (That is the temperature in the shade in summer)
>
>We have been thinking of using engraved granite but this will only give a
>monochrome panel while we would like to use some colour if at all possible.
>The main criteria is however low maintenance and durability.
>
>Is there somebody out there who came across a similar problem?  Your
>advice, recommendations and experience would be appreciated.
>
>Greetings to all.
>
>Dirk
>
>Dirk Coetzee
>McGregor Museum
>PO Box 316
>Kimberley 8300
>South Africa
>Phone +27-531-32645
>Fax +27 - 531-829311
>E-mail  [log in to unmask]
>
>Monday is a hard way to spend one seventh of your life.

Dear Dirk

I recently camped in the Flinders Ranges National Park, in South Australia
about 500 km north of Adelaide. It is a very sparsely populated area of
rugged desert mountains, with a history of early pastoral settlement and a
fascinating geological history first studied by Sir Douglas Mawson - who is
more famous for his Antarctic explorations. The temperatures go from
sub-zero overnight in winter to 45 Celsius in summer. The opportunity for
vandalism is considerable - although one doesn't see much.

The Brachina Gorge and its approaches consist of a 50 km depth of sediment
lying at 45 degrees, and has recently been supplied with interpretive
material on metal plaques at stands all along the road. These convey a most
lucid exposition of the geology, and a wonderful realisation that you are
standing in it or sitting on it - and that a kilometre or so of travel
equals 20 million years or so. Photographs printed on metal enable one to
identify precisely the formation they are talking about - eg a stromatolitic
deformation in the exposed limestone - evidence of some the earliest life on
earth. There is also a lot about the pastoral and aboriginal history and
shepherds' huts - extended by the provision of walking guide notes by a
voluntary body.

The message I got on this visit to the Flinders Ranges - one of Australia's
greatest hidden treasures - was that some very imaginative and creative
people had been at work since I was there last - and I probably only saw a
tiny bit of it, as the area is vast.

The Flinders Ranges National Park administration can be contacted on +61 8
8648 0048.

Regards

Colin Smith