From:
david franklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 13:11:36 +0000
please help a newbie by explaining what this reference
to SLIP means. Is this a protocol? I asked what the
difference between SLIP and PPP was at a recent ISDN
seminar and was told that PPP was inherently a better
protocol as it had error checking which allows transmission
errors to be trapped at a lower level in the OSI structure.

I didnt get to ask why my windows (winsock) dialer sets up SLIP mode
with my dial-up account while the DOS dialer sets up PPP mode.
Is this something to do with www? Is there an answer to this
which can be expressed in terms which a semi-literate type
like me could understand?

--
david franklin
Bradford