From:
Margot Brunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 12:11:15 -0700
As a general rule, a mounting method is safe for an artifact if it can be used without damaging or staining, or leaving a residue on the artifact. In the case of wax, the residue has to be removed with a mineral spirits solvent. This can be safely done only on materials where the solvent (and the wax) will not be absorbed, and will not stain.

I would not use Museum Wax on jewellery. Even with very small amounts of wax, pressure is needed to make/break contact between the wax and the artifact. This can distort the metal. Wax residue is difficult to clean off completely unless it is on a non-porous (such as glazed ceramics) or polished surface (such as a smooth, uncorroded metal). Any residue that is left on the artifact after an exhibit remains sticky and attracts dust.

Whenever possible, I sew jewellery to cloth-covered mounting boards. Only a few stitches are needed to hold it in place and prevent it from moving due to vibration.  To make the mount, I use acid-free board and polyester fabric that is glued to the board only at the back. The colour of the thread matches the artifact or the display fabric. In addition, the board can be secured to vertical, slanted or flat display walls with pins or double-sided tape.

Some beautiful work has also been done using thin brass wire mounts to display gold jewellery.  The wire has to be covered with tubing so it does not scratch the artifact.

Margot Brunn
Conservator
Provincial Museum of Alberta
12845 - 102 Avenue