From:
Aaron Goldblatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 1994 22:40:53 -0400
    I fear I may have contributed to the hyperbole about nfp/fp. In fact, I
sense little sanctimoniousness in the lot, thank God. There seems to be,
however a rather large Hot Button for a bunch of us. It may be worth it to
tease out some of the underlying issues.
    While I make no claims to expertise here, I am a bit aware of the history
and reasons non-profits were established. Those reasons stand as strong today
as they did then. Protection from market pressures and political winds for
services the society deems worthy of such support.  But for a range of reasons,
including the non-profit sectors own arrogance and ignorance (as well as a
radically altered economic environment) we are facing those pressures anyway.
    I believe we all still have, to one degree or another, a sense that the
status indicates a higher standard of behavior. After all, 2 months is not
great to wait for a check, but that's downright speedy compared to a large
municipality. Sears recently went to a 60 day payment cycle to all its vendors.
But a nfp doing it particularly sticks in the craw. A sizable nfp moving in on
the territory and undercutting small businesses seems all the more egregious
because of their protected status. The indictments handed down yesterday
against the x-United Way executives is much more emotionally charged news than
comperable S&L indictments over the years.
    There would be little argument about there being a difference between the
two organizational structures. There may even be lots of agreement about those
differences having to do with having and executing a mission unrelated to
satisfying shareholders need for return.  But the agreement may not go much
beyond that.(obivously, beyond strict, technical definitions) What nfp of any
size isn't doing anything it can for yet another revenue stream? Who hasn't
heard (indulged in) corporate management language coming from all corners of
the sector?
    I was struck, reading Stephen Weil's article in the current Museum News,
how transposable the issues are. After all, it has very much to do with how we
define ourselves (for those of us in nfp institutions), how we seek and engage
our audiences, how we keep to (or not) our missions.

Aaron Goldblatt
Please Touch Museum