From:
Colin Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 08:48:33 -0700
Based upon the definitions I have seen of what constitutes a museum, I have
a REAL problem with any institution without a collection being called a
museum.

In my opinion borrowed items, digitized images, replicas etc. should
supplement, but not replace, collections in museums. There is no replacing
the impact that experiencing the real thing can have.

I have often been surprised when, after having seen hundreds of images of
historic items, and then encountering the real thing and realizing that my
understanding of the size and weight was way off. For example, in the
military history field,  I discovered that B-17 and B-24 bombers are much
smaller than I had expected.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
Museum Curator
Burnaby Village Museum
City of Burnaby,  BC,  CANADA
(604) 293-6500
Business: [log in to unmask]
Museum Webpage:
http://www.burnabyparksrec.org/villagemuseum/villagemuseum.html
Personal: [log in to unmask]  Personal website:
http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net

-----Original Message----- (EXTRACT)