From:
Tim Bosher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 1994 16:26:12 +1100
Can anyone help with a methodology for relocating very large collections
(like millions of items). We are particularly interested in how the
process might be eased by the use of computer technology, bar coding etc.
As anyone who has tackled this sort of project will realise, it is
extremely complex, with issues relating to asset management, conservation,
packing, ordering of transport so that things arrive in the right order
at the other end etc etc etc.

Secondly, why all this navel gazing about MUSEUM-L? In my humble opinion
it's absolutely fine as it is. The vast majority of irrelevant material
that I have to wade through is from users moaning about all the
irrelevant material they have to wade through. A minor gripe is the US
users who use MUSEUM-L to deal with very local (to them) issues which are
of no possible interest to the wider audience.

Tim

*            Tim Bosher           *      Museum of Victoria          *
* [log in to unmask]  *  Information Systems Branch      *
*      Phone: +61 3 651 6751      *      Fax: +61 3 651 6180         *