From:
Helen Glazer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 1996 21:51:26 -0500
        If the work is framed with metal section frames, Nielsen makes a
security hanging system which consists of two hangers which screw into
the wall and a latch at the bottom which is hidden from view when the
picture is on the wall.  When you press the bottom of the frame against
the latch it locks into place, and can only be released by using a "key"
which they provide.  I bought about 50 of them a few years ago and I
think they cost about $2 apiece then.

        For wood frames, when there is a security concern, with the
artist's permission we drill a small hole in the back of the frame and
attach a small
mending plate.  The bottom of the mending plate sticks out and can be
screwed into the wall, and painted to match the wall so it is less obtrusive.
I noticed that the National Gallery used this method to install small
works in their Georgia O'Keeffe show some years back.

        Aside from security, both methods also insure that the work will
not have to be straightened during the run of the show! The down side is
drilling and filling all those holes in the walls.

Helen Glazer
Goucher College, Baltimore, Maryland