From:
"Ellen B. Cutler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 10:28:36 -0700
Pamela,

This is an all-to-familiar nightmare.  I think your analysis of the
situation is good and your recommendations are sound.

Sticking to my convictions that there is no one-size-fits-all remedy, this
is what I might do.

1.  Meet with paid staff (professional and hourly) and discuss the matter of
collegial respect and confidentiality.  Get staff on board about NOT
gossiping/sharing ANYTHING about themselves or other staff with ANYONE and
that particularly means volunteers.  Stress the importance of this as a
matter of efficiency, respect, and maintenance of an appropriate public
face.

2.  When volunteers are caught gossiping, politely but firmly ask them to
desist and/or point out that this is simply unprofessional and inappropriate
behavior.  Routinely remind them of what they are there to do find subtle
ways to remind them of what they are NOT there to do.

3.  Start isolating problematic volunteers from staff contact.  Discourage
things like lunches or other private social occasions.  Balance this
isolation with an upgrade in continuing education (briefings on new objects,
exhibitions, presentations by scholars, etc.)

4.  Recruit new volunteers and train them up right from the first.

5.  Try to drum up more press coverage.  Cultivate some writers (young kids,
retired folk, whatever you can get) who will profile staff the way they
should be profiled.  Get coverage also (human-interest stuff) of volunteers
who ARE the kind of volunteer you want.  Search out opportunities to be on
the evening news or radio shows, even if only to talk about current goings
on.  Be aggressive in detailing who you are and take the oomph out of the
gossips.

6.  NEVER be concerned that your old-timers will resign en masse.  In fact,
if they did, it would be a good thing.  However, do nothing to actively
force them out, as they are likely to create some social trouble within the
community.  But even with this prospect, remember that this too shall pass.

Best of luck to your friend, Pamela.  He's got a long road ahead I think.

Ellen Cutler