From:
Christine Mouw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 19:15:04 -0400
>>> James Kratsas <[log in to unmask]> 08/08/97
03:18pm >>>
I would also suggest carpet squares rather than wall-to-wall.  We have it
with two different colors to control the traffic flow.  If any square gets
stained, you simply toss the square away.

Jim's right about the carpet squares.  They really work well at the Ford
Museum for traffic flow and even for security.  You really notice (or
someone you are with will certainly notice) when you're on the wrong
colored carpeting and too close to something.  I wish we had a system
like that here.  We do have single colored carpet squares and they really
are easy to replace if they get stained beyond cleaning, yet you can't
see the seams.

We also have ribbed carpet on our temporary gallery walls which has it's
good and bad sides.  Our walls never show screw or nail holes, but you
can't paint it to match each exhibit.  The walls are always tan.

Chris.

Christine Mouw
Assistant Curator
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
West Branch, Iowa  52358