From:
kevin mccartney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 14:26:46 EST
Greetings,

  It is my understanding that the real-life model for "Indiana" Jones was a
*paleontologist* named Roy Chapman Andrews.  Andrews led many expeditions
for the AMNH to the Gobi desert, where he found the first dinosaur eggs.
This was a time of great turmoil in China and everyone had to be equally
adept at using the rock hammer and the rifle.  In between expeditions he
would travel the country to raise money for the next trek and became very
much an American hero and childhood idol in the days when Lucas was young.

  Somehow, when it came to make the movies, I guess the occupation of
paleontologist wasn't glamorous enough...

Kevin McCartney, Ph.D.
Associate Prof., Geology
Director, Northern Maine Museum
  of Science (opens October 5)