From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 13:24:52 -0400
Hugh, this was the subject of a lengthy exchange a few months ago.  There
is no ready solution to the opportunity that, collectively, American museum
people have to excel in the ways you suggest.

AAM doesn't appear to me, at least, to be submerged within the beltway
corridor of the District of Columbia, but I may be wrong.  The last
exchange on this list gave some evidence that it actually is floating along
(as an organizational entity) quite directionless for now -- doing and
publishing what it's been doing and publishing for the last several years.
I'm not sure its governing board, which we elect, is able to exert
leadership.  And AAM isn't really clear "who" speaks for AAM.

But AAM is all we have, and it IS doing its best to "save" museums etc.
from being dropped from the federal budget.  Its MAP program is a great
resource for museums wanting to avail themselves of it.  Its institutional
accreditation program is quite rigorous but I wonder if it follows up a few
years after accreditation to see about "re-accreding."  My impression is
that the institution must take that followup initiative, as there is no
monitoring going on, probably appropriately.   Finally, and bottom line,
AVISO is the trading post for those looking for jobs, I suppose.

Any ideas?