From:
Vanda Bushfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 17:10:32 -0500

> However, where do students get the idea that they are owed a living for being
> student?  You don't get paid for the courses you take.  You don't get paid for
> the time you put in on a thesis.
I also wouldnt have to pick up and possibly move across the country to do
my thesis.  I wouldnt have to give up the job I have at the museum where
I go to school.  And I would at least be paying for credits that the
university was actually giving me something for i.e. facilities, advisors,
etc.

> internship?  Most interns I've seen work less than 40 hours per week, and they
> could easily have a part-time job just like when taking classes.
Perhaps the problem here is that we all have a very different concept of
an internship. I think there are those out there who are thinking of
something you do a couple hours a day for a month or two, which i can
see nob being a big deal.  But the kind of internship I think most
of us are referring to, and looking for, and seeing advertised is the kind
that is full time for 6 or more months.

> Students are getting an education.  They are being given a service.
Yes, but in the case of an internship, we are also providint a service.
You make it sound as if museums taken in interns entirely out of the
goodness of their hearts without any benefits to themselves.  We have
seen many stories on this list of invaluable interns who I'm sure
provided services that were worth at least as much as the educaation
they received in trade.

> Why should they be given a wage for that privilege?
Because, being the spoiled, ungrateful college children that we are,
we have gotten used to some of the small niceties of life, like
food, clothing and shelter.

Yes, fellowships, grants, and other
> aid are important to help those from poor families get out of that cycle.
Once again, I think you've missed the point.  We aren't talking about
students from poor families.  We are talking about every day average
students.  Those of us who are working on our second degree.  Or having
siblings in college, or whose parents just didnt save up enough for
our college educations.  Those of us whose parents, for whatever reason,
can no longer help us out as much as they used to.  I think you'd find
thats a rather large section of the graduate student population.  No, you
dont owe us a living.  You dont owe us anything.  But considering that we
are the generation being trained to step into your places as you move on,
I'd expect to see a little more consideration.  We arent asking for the
world, we arent asking to be paid to go to college.  We are asking to
receive enough money to live off in return for the services we give.
And, personally I dont think thats too much to ask.

Vanda Bushfield
average Grad Student
Texas Tech University